Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Beginning...

Hi!  I'm a single Christian woman and I think that the Catholics have too long had a monopoly on the convent.  This idea has run through my head for quite a while now.  Those in a convent are not expected to marry.  I'm at an age where I doubt that I will.  Two failed relationships have set me on the path to create a convent.  I'm not sure there will ever be a physical convent (it would be cool if it did happen) but a virtual one is a great start.

I've grown up in a Christian home and have listened to numerous religious programs throughout my life.  I'm getting to the point where I don't want to hear about the marriage relationship when I'm not in one.  As our society has grown, women have had more opportunities to work outside the home, to become more independent, to live life without a husband providing for their needs. 

Often I sense a contradiction in Scripture when Paul talks about women not being allowed to speak up in church but they are to ask their husbands at home their questions about spiritual things (1 Corinthians 14:34-35.)  How am I to ask my husband at home when I don't have one?  How am I to make sense of this when Paul elsewhere says that it is better for people to be single? (1 Corinthians 7:7-9, 34)  Paul, I don't get you. Did you mean only for men to be single?  Or am I to marry and pray to be a widow to meet your declaration?  How am I to care for the things of the Lord if I have a question and have no husband to answer my scriptural questions? 

I'm still sorting this out though prayer and reading of scripture.  I know that God has answers for my questions, I just don't have those answers yet.  Was I given a brain and not expected to use it?


Sister Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment